Rico reached it apex in
1892. The population of 5,000 supported 23 saloons, 3 blocks of red-light district,
2 churches, 2 newspapers, a theater, boarding houses and the Rico State Bank.
Rico became the county seat, a title upheld until 1946, and attracted miners
from the surrounding area. Many of the buildings from this era still stand today,
including the Dey Building which houses the Enterprise Bar & Grill. Trouble
hit Rico in 1893 when the first silver panic swept through the town and most
businesses closed. By 1900, only 811 people still called Rico home.